Moving on from OpenMRS

Friends, I wanted you to know that I’ve decided to move on from OpenMRS. Please see the link below for more details.

(Please note, I am planning to stay involved alongside @surangak in my role as GSoC org co-admin through the summer.)

It is an understatement to say that it has truly been an honor to serve so many of you you these past 7 years. Thank you for the opportunity of a lifetime.

4 Likes

Where’s the dislike button. :crying_cat_face: :crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face:

9 Likes

+1 to what Robby said.

Michael, thank you for your tireless dedication over the years. You will certainly be missed, but I wish you the best in your next endeavors.

Mark

3 Likes

@michael - You have moved and organized the OpenMRS community. Much of this work has been behind the scenes. Partners In Health is grateful for your tremendous contributions – especially leading us into events, community facilitation tools (Talk, JIRA, Telegram, etc.), social media, and leading collaboration with other organization (Google, FOSS, etc). Thank you helping us grow. You will be missed.

All my best,

Ellen

4 Likes

:cry:ing, I can’t express the sorry am now experiencing having our ‘irreplaceable’ @michael leave our community. I wish transitions in man’s chapter were irresistible!!! we will absolutely miss you @michael but nevertheless wish you a more inspiring journey as this has been to me/us.

3 Likes

You have been very resourceful to the community. Being the most present person on IRC, doing those event management and organisational tasks that some of us would not. I will not forget the skill and passion with which you advertised OpenMRS at the last OSCON in Texas! Though you are still involved to some extent, we shall greatly miss your greater involvement!!!

I wish you all the best in your next engagements with those who will be lucky to tap into the experience you have gained over the years!!!

6 Likes

Thank you for your relentless hard work over the years, you’ve been a major factor of the glue that has always kept the OpenMRS community together. Please allow me to send you off with a nick name of Mr Events because you truly make them happen, we’ll definitely miss you and your strong work ethic. I wish you the best with your next position and all you pursue.

6 Likes

@michael, it has been a privilege working with you over these 7 years. You’ve done amazing work, and really kept us true to the open source spirit, and in line with all the best practices out there.

It’s hard to imagine things moving on without your guidance and prodding, but as a testament to the work you’ve always done to devolve responsibility, I think we’ll manage it!

5 Likes

@michael, i might not have known you for very much long like every other person in the community but for the short period of time I’ve been in the community (1year), i can say with utmost certainty that you will be greatly missed by the community(I know i will). I guess all i can do is wish you the best in your next endeavors

5 Likes

@michael, thank you! Your contribution to forming the OpenMRS community is tremendous! I will always think of you as the person who simply makes things happen!

It was a privilege to work with you! I wish you the best on your new path!

6 Likes

@michael is probably the one who has touched almost everyone in the community by some way or the other, even if it is by “like” ing posts. I haven’t known you for long, but I know this community will miss you! Thanks for all the help you gave out selflessly and best wishes!

4 Likes

@michael I nearly skipped a beat when I read this and realized this for real. For me, you were one of the primary faces of the OpenMRS community.

Be it your welcoming approach, ever long presence on IRC and balanced way of approaching things, you are definitely one of the best leaders I have seen almost selflessly serving a community.

So long Michael, you will be greatly missed :cry:

6 Likes

@michael Thank you for a being a Leader who captures minds and hearts. From doing simple yet important things like encouraging us to lead scrum meetings to being exemplar of what it is to serve with humility, thank you for everything. You will be missed.

I have always been a fan of your wisdom and looking forward to be in touch with you even after this summer.

I’ve really enjoyed working with you. All the best in whatever you do. I’m so excited for you! Great things are sure to be coming your way!

5 Likes

I second @bholagabbar. I had to re-read the post as I first saw your post on medium and as I was new to medium I wished it wasn’t true :hushed:. When I got back to OpenMRS talk, I realized this is for real. The OpenMRS community will miss you for the well organized management and the managerial tasks you have been doing since such long. So many things pop by, when I think of what all you were to handle at one point in time and how well you managed everything. It will sure help the community to still manage because of all your efforts prior. Wish you the very best for your future engagements :smile: Great things must be waiting on your journey.

4 Likes

Thank you @michael. You have always been moving things forward and you have positively impacted the community. Wish you all the best :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@michael you have been a great colleague and friend. You’ve taught myself and others a lot over the years helping us to grow as people and community members. Thank you for always having open ears, an open mind and an open heart! I wish you all the best on your next adventure! :hug:

5 Likes

For those who know their latin, I can’t think of a better way to put this…

3 Likes

@Michael, you greatly inspired our implementations in Nigeria and was readily available to give support and suggestions. I hope you continue to put smiles on the faces of many. Wish you the best life can offer!

4 Likes

It’s been great knowing and interacting with you all these years. You espouse the true meaning of a great community like OpenMRS is. You showed that truly embracing the meaning, mission and values of OpenMRS is a way of life, and it truly is. Thanks @michael and I wish you all the best in your next endevor.

3 Likes

Michael, thanks for your effortless dedication the past years. We definitely appreciate your effort and you will certainly be missed, I wish you the best in your future endeavors.