Installing OpenMRS 2.x Reference Application on Working 1.10.0 Enterprise Implementation: Can data be preserved?

I’ve got a working OpenMRS 1.10.0 Enterprise Implementation, populated with good data. Currently running on a Windows Platform with Tomcat and MySQL. This works great! I’d “like” to install the OpenMRS 2.0 or 2.1 Reference Application on top of this, without “losing” my data.

I’ve tried stopping the Application, and adding the required modules (From the Appropriate modules zip file (openmrs-2.0-modules.zip or openmrs-2.1-modules.zip). to the modules directory, then restarting the application vi the tomcat manager. The modules all load and the application appears to start “correctly” with no error messages within the application.

However at this point all visit information, graphs, etc. are no longer visible. I’ve made sure that my user accounts have the provider permission.

I’ve read what I can, and it looks like this is possibly by design, and currently only clean installs of openMRS 2.0 or 2.1 are supported, with upgrades coming in 2.2 or so.

Can someone just verify this for me, so I don’t worry about this any more? :smile:

Thanks to the community for a great product, and I look forward to working with it, and you for a long time to come!

John R. Luce (DrJohn)

Dear Dr. John,

To my understanding you should be able to run the OpenMRS 2.x modules on a regular OpenMRS 1.10 implementation.

If you’re not seeing things in the new 2.x interface, it may be because your data is coded differently, or you don’t have the necessary concept mappings. If you’re using the CIEL dictionary, it has the necessary mappings. If you aren’t using CIEL, I see that it used Metadata Sharing packages, which should be creating the necessary metadata for you. In any-case, if you didn’t have the right mappings/metadata you would see lots of errors in the new UI.

When you return to the legacy user interface, everything should still function the same as it did in the past; visit information, etc.

I hope this helps. If not, maybe you should consider describing your problem on the Implementer’s Mailing list.

Thanks, James

James:

I am using the CIEL dictionary, and was told that the issue was that:

--------------Correct, all of your data is still present in the database, it’s just that the 2.0 / 2.1 user interface does not contain the same views into this data as the legacy UI.

If you directly try to go to one of the URLs that previously displayed the data you are interested in, you will see that those pages are still in the application and the data is still visible as before.

For example, using the OpenMRS demo, I can go to one patient on the 2.0 patient dashboard:

http://demo.openmrs.org/openmrs/coreapps/clinicianfacing/patient.page?patientId=6e635fae-0098-4c79-9b97-2cb04bdfc62f

This same patient in the legacy patient dashboard is still accessible here:

http://demo.openmrs.org/openmrs/patientDashboard.form?patientId=348

To get this, I took the patient’s identifier 100CAW and searched for it by going to: System Administration -> Advanced Administration -> Find/Create Patient

Dear Dr. John,

So are you all set, or are you still having problems?

Since you mentioned your Visits not being visible; In thinking about this a little more, perhaps you’re installation is not configured to use Visits? That is under Administration -> Configure Visits. “Enable Visits” should be checked.

Good luck, James

1 Like

James:

The “Enable Visits” boolean has always been enabled, but thanks for the suggestion!

I guess I’m good, but I am still curious about when or if existent data from 1.10.0 databases will be directly visible in the reference application using the standard dashboard URLs.

Thanks again for the help.

John