Ideas on how to reach out to implementers/developers

Hi, Jan, Terry, and Burke,

Thanks for having similar thoughts on this! It’s always one of my concerns that some of the smaller implementations’ voices are not being heard or their needs are not being addressed. As you know, some implementations are very small and they don’t have the resources or luxury to attend calls, especially outside of their office time. Here are some of the thoughts I have that might help with minimizing the gaps:

• Look at the OpenMRS implementations and then divide them by “something” (e.g. regions, countries, similar focus (HIV or TB or Malaria)). Then, assign “point of person” who is either geographically close to these implementations or with expertise in the focus area. Then, the “point of persons” can provide regular communications between the the implementations and OpenMRS. To me, this is crucial as getting the feedback from implementations is important to guide which direction OpenMRS should go, especially identify resources to help and planning for roadmap.
  • As you know, some of the implementers are not as vocal or are not comfortable in bringing up their concerns due to cultures or they might not know the “right terminologies” when asking questions and they tend to keep their silence even though they struggle. To take care of that population, I strongly suggest to have OpenMRS Team (PM, BA, Dev, Super User, etc.) to do site visitations and then collect information based on observations as well as on-site interviews. This will again to provide invaluable information for OpenMRS Leadership for planning and resources management.
  • Regarding to make it more “welcoming” for developers and implementers to attend calls, we should consider identifying “champions of one dev and one implementer” for each continent. Then, have the calls more continent specific and have those champions to take leads on them.
  • Provide documentation/call minutes in timely manner and announce on Talk so that others can review and chime in if they have other thoughts.

Cheers! -ada

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that I first brought up the suggestion years ago that OpenMRS should consider to send their developers (maybe 3 months out of 12 months) to work in implementation site for the following benefits:

• There is a difference between good developers to work on tickets and awesome developers who come up with solutions to real-world challenges. Coding in the room is good to a certain point but there is a disconnection on “what the developer thinks and what the real situation on the ground is”.
  • Building capacity for local developers - local developers can learn “best practice” or coding technique from OpenMRS Developer. Also, it provides some “good feeling” that “I am coding with OpenMRS Developer - Daniel Kayiwa!” or something like that. It really motivates local developers that “I am as good as OpenMRS developers!”
  • OpenMRS Developers can bring in the knowledge and observations they have received on the ground. Making OpenMRS to be better and bringing to a higher level.
2 Likes

these are great ideas can i post these into the minutes? i will make them a little smaller… hope that is ok

··· On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Ada Yeung wrote:

ayeung https://talk.openmrs.org/users/ayeung Ada Yeung https://talk.openmrs.org/users/ayeung Tester June 20

I forgot to mention that I first brought up the suggestion years ago that OpenMRS should consider to send their developers (maybe 3 months out of 12 months) to work in implementation site for the following benefits:

• There is a difference between good developers to work on tickets and awesome developers who come up with solutions to real-world challenges. Coding in the room is good to a certain point but there is a disconnection on “what the developer thinks and what the real situation on the ground is”.
  • Building capacity for local developers - local developers can learn “best practice” or coding technique from OpenMRS Developer. Also, it provides some “good feeling” that “I am coding with OpenMRS Developer - Daniel Kayiwa!” or something like that. It really motivates local developers that “I am as good as OpenMRS developers!”
  • OpenMRS Developers can bring in the knowledge and observations they have received on the ground. Making OpenMRS to be better and bringing to a higher level.

Visit Message https://talk.openmrs.org/t/ideas-on-how-to-reach-out-to-implementers-developers/6843/2 or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here https://talk.openmrs.org/email/unsubscribe/b35aa602d9b9d532e55411f2a62c12a44b1cd8d6d76ca61fcc4ad33a51b73b58 .

Alternarively you may click here <reply@talk.openmrs.org?subject=unsubscribe> to unsubscribe via email.

1 Like

Sure, @terry.

It would be good to turn this into a public thread on Talk. @ayeung do you mind if we do this?

Definitely, @janflowers! :slight_smile:

@burke Is there a way to take Ada’s posts and turn them into a Talk thread, or do we just need to repost them?

I’ll see if I can convert it to a public post.

Update: Done. Moved to Community category.

1 Like

When we were working on Mirebalais, Haiti (RefApp), each of the OpenMRS devs (Rafal, Daniel, and Wyclif) worked on 1 or more iteration. That was excellent and a great opportunity to learn from each other. The 3 devs joined our morning daily standup – with people in Boston, Brazil, Seattle. We were all on the same agile sprint. Better to be on site, but this was free (no travel cost) and we were all talking and working together.

I love @ayeung 's suggestions. We can pilot with one geographical or program area and learn from that before replicating.

Ellen

2 Likes

I like the idea of piloting in one geographical or program area to come up with lessons learned. Could we potential have region managers like @pascal or @surangak post to Talk looking for someone regionally lead by;

• Facilitate regional implementation calls
  • Quarterly reach out to regional implementations
  • Report back to regional manager and/or present at a quarterly town hall