We are looking for guidance on designing drug - drug interactions, based on the following use cases (selected examples) -
- If patient having warfarin and Anti-Tuberculosis Treatment started then shift to heparin
- Iron and calcium not to be prescribed to be taken at same time as they reduce each other’s effectivity.
- If Anti-Tuberculosis Treatment going on then patient should not be given Oral Contraceptive pills or warfarin
These examples are at a drug family level. We had a discussion around this in the Bahmni channel of OpenMRS talk. Our take from that discussion is -
- We should add Drug family to OpenMRS metadata (as ConceptSet)
- We should add existing drug concepts to aforementioned drug family(s) ConceptSet
- We should write rules based on families irrespective of drug formulations
We have also come to know that WorldVistA has built a drug-drug-interaction dataset.
We would like to know the community’s opinion on these topics -
- Discuss choice of using ingredients/drugs/families and the best ways to incorporate those in both the CIEL dictionary and in OpenMRS drug ordering
- Where should we acquire standard Drug family/class information from (CIEL or otherwise)?
- With our current dataset, is it alright to manually attribute drugs to Drug Family (as an example, should we model it such that we add drug concept to drug family concept set)
- Should we be acquiring RxNorm as reference terms? If this has been done before, please do share your experience.
We had a discussion on DDIs in Bahmni channel here:
We want to gather opinion from a larger OpenMRS community and also request for a design call. @jthomas Please allot a slot as soon as it is available.