GSOD 2020:Technical writer exploration phase now open

Thanks @ayesh

Make sure to send PR if you find any not working samples.

Also @uthpala @saurabh

We missed one resource type last time to work on so it is Forms type maybe you can work on it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @sharif @ayesh ,

I have checked https://rest.openmrs.org/#openmrs-rest-api and its Git repository to get an idea about how previous documentations were done.
It seems Developing User Friendly Documentation for FHIR API and Extending User Friendly Github Documentation for REST API projects have same goal. So can we do the Documentation for FHIR API using Slate API DOC generator platform?

Thank You.

Hi @kaveeshabaddage

Exactly. It was the same idea.

But we donā€™t have anything in fhir yet related to the documentation. So a good way to follow should be

1. Write the markdown files first.
  2. Later integrate with Slate

Because itā€™s very easy to integrate with slate. But writing the markdowns you have to put some effort here :slightly_smiling_face:

I would recommend you to talk with @ibacher to get an idea about the fhir apiā€™s.it will help you to define boundries of the project.

Also please get feedback from the community weekly it will help you a lot to improve the rest api docs.

1 Like

Hi @ayesh @sharif @ibacher ,

Thank You for the given information. :slightly_smiling_face:

I set up a OpenMRS Standalone App ( Platform 2.3.0) locally and checked its FHIR support Resources according to the documentation. And also I created simple API documentation using Slate for one of my projects to get an idea about how Slate works.

This FHIR Module Documentation consists with its FHIR supported resources and actions. I think, we have to develop the User-Friendly Documentation for those FHIR APIs

Could you please tell me is there any project that I can do my initial contributions and make more familiar with this FHIR Module?

Thank You.

Hi @ayesh

I was able to run openmrs-rest-api using middleman. When the server is started the api documentation was not displayed properly (content was loaded but styling was not applied) and I found in the console that print.css and screen.css were failing. Is it a known issue and could you help me on this?

Thank you

Thanks @kaveeshabaddage, please go ahead and create and do the work, feel free to attend todays documentation call such that you are updated and we may talk more thanks

1 Like

@uthpala make sure to pull the latest.

It should work now. I tried and things work fine

@saurabh thanks for the PR.

There will be some issues in the ui. Formatting of docs some good starting points for you guys :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank You @sharif. I will be joined using https://www.uberconference.com/openmrs link at 7.30 PM IST. I hope to discuss further steps on there.

1 Like

Thanks @ayesh :slightly_smiling_face:

Now it worked

@ayesh do we have any seperate Issue tracking service like JIRA for the docs repository as well ??

since I needed to discuss somewhat about an improvement in the docs before sending a PR where should it be done since there is no issue section here

You can always discuss in a talk thread if you find any issues. Yet we donā€™t have any jira boards. I think as a practice we do not maintain github issues.

@ayesh is it possible to have a JIRA board for this project as well since all the discussion would be consolidated at one place .

Yeah maybe but am not sure. You have to talk with @burke @jennifer. But it will take some time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @saurabh!

Our Documentation Roadmap is on a Trello board. Youā€™ll notice that several of the GSoD projects are also goals on this roadmap. Any card in the Backlog, Up Next, WIP, or Completed lists that helps us make progress on a specific documentation goal is linked to the project goal card. The Wiki Re-organization card is an example of how the cards are linked. This helps us track progress towards our goals.

Do you think discussion around a specific task + project, including relevant Talk discussions, can be consolidated in the cards?

2 Likes

@jennifer yes I think the comments section in a card on trello would serve the purpose .

1 Like