GSoD 2020 - OpenMRS REST API Documentation

@rainbow good work you too can we resolve the conflicts on the PR

It’s done. Please review.

@ayesh from a developers point of view I understand global properties , but I would like to understand its specific use case here in OpenMRS and the wiki pages I pointed out they are also pretty old can you uncover this a bit for me @ayesh @gcliff , thanks :slight_smile:

Global properties are used to store module and system-wide settings. They primarily consist of a property name and a value. A description provides a brief explanation of how the property is used. Optional datatype and handler information can be included to provide details of the format of the value, what handler class can convert the value between string (for storage) and Java Object, but the handler fields are rarely used.

Names can be up to 255 chars, must be unique, and follow a convention of module ID followed by category & name lower camelCase separated by periods.

You can look at settings within demo to see examples of global properties. It would be good to include one our two examples. Maybe one system wide and one for a popular module.

BTW – I also noticed systeminformation is not documented.

2 Likes

@burke thank you for the details , I will add a section for Global Properties and SystemInformation as well .

thanks @burke

1 Like

@burke can we review this pr https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs

1 Like

@burke @ayesh I searched for the system Information section on the demo and I found this so this section is obviously like a readme section and cant be modified for obvious reasons but I couldnt even find out the API endpoints to fetch these system Informations ( I took the reference of the auto generated swagger documentation at demo server ) , can I get some clarification on this , :slight_smile: thanks!!

Hi @saurabh

These are collected metrics on the hosted server. They are not exposed to swagger endpoints as I know :slightly_smiling_face: . These are like JMX default metrics which are shown for the usage of the system admin. Yes, you can address them give a small description about them.

1 Like

ohk @ayesh thank you !!

@ayesh the properties in the system Information are quite self explanatory should I just give a short explanation of system Information in general and then a few examples will that be all right ?

Yes that will be enough :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@ayesh , I searched a bit more about System Information and got this, Isnt it some sort of GET request to fetch the system information.

@gcliff @suthagar23 can you please help , I got this from a post related to you thanks. :slight_smile:

@saurabh does this offer some insights System Information Page Interface Modification

1 Like

thanks @gcliff for your reply once again !! :grinning:

but I wanted to know here in demo application how are these system informations getting populated for the users to see, is it some kindof endpoint where we can fetch details or simple lookup on system runtime . thanks

and specifically I am describing this

this is the end point https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-module-webservices.rest/blob/6299dc6e3b185deb0c45bf1afac562d9a7843f96/omod-1.9/src/main/java/org/openmrs/module/webservices/rest/web/v1_0/resource/openmrs1_9/SystemSettingResource1_9.java#L45 in the rest module to help you fetch system info

1 Like

@gcliff ,why does this dosent appear in the swagger documentation then which is hosted on the demo server ?? is there any specific reason for that ??

@gcliff but I think these are the endpoints referring to the systemSettings and not system Information :slight_smile: .

are you referring to this ?

1 Like

@gcliff just above the circle you made there is a system Information tab, I am referring to that

1 Like