GSoC 2017 Project Brainstorming

We are seeking mentors as well as projects for GSoC 2017 as we prepare our organization application for Google Summer of Code 2017, which is due by 9 February.

The goal of GSoC is to give students an excellent experience in open source development, leading them to become lifelong productive open source coders. In return for investing in mentorship, OpenMRS has been blessed with many incredible returns on this investment! Some of it has been in code, but the best has been people: @nyoman, @surangak, @maany, @raff, @k.joseph, @jordan, @maurya, @harsha89, @bholagabbar, and @ivange94 to name just a few.

As we have for the past decade, we want to put together an awesome list of mentors & projects for GSoC this year to attract the best students into long-lasting open-source careers while writing code & saving lives with OpenMRS!

GSoC projects can be new modules/projects or involve enhancements or new features for an existing module/project.

Attributes of a great GSoC project

• Must involve coding and be OpenMRS-related
  • Clear objectives
  • A minimal viable product can be completed in 6-8 weeks (allowing time for bug fixing, documentation, and getting to production).
  • Meaningful contributions to the community
  • Involvement of at least one motivated product owner (e.g., implementation) eager to use the projectā€™s output

Do you have ideas for potential GSoC projects? Please let us know.

Letā€™s get the discussions going. Our goal is to have many projects fleshed out as gsoc2017-labeled project pages by 9 Feb.

Mentors (thus far, add your name here if you can mentor)

Fleshed-out Projects

Ideas that need work

• Use Googleā€™s TensorFlow to determine if a cancer tumor is benign or malign (very simple ML application)
  • Add xyz feature to Patient Dashboard in the reference application. (@ssmusoke should fill in which feature!)
  • Support standard model for recording ā€œMedication Dispensedā€ in the EMR API module (or in its own new module): introduce a standard way to record that drugs were dispensed to the patient, storing this as obs. Provide REST and FHIR APIs for this. Add (simple) support for this in the reference application.
  • we are thinking this yearā€™s GSoC prototyping on a generic cross over reporting tool/platform for all default and userā€™s additional metrics within reporting periods such as; monthly, quarterly, daily, annually etc into DHIS and any other future similar softwares we wish to communicate to, i hope to propose this project preferably next week
  • OCL Subscription module should support concept attributes
    • @raff are there other things weā€™d put together with this in an ā€œOCL Subscription module improvementsā€ project? (@raff: no more improvements needed at the moment, concept attributes alone is not enough for a GSoC project)
6 Likes

@darius, will you be up for setting up and mentoring the new module repo project? We could get some of that done as part of GSoC.

1 Like

Use Googleā€™s TensorFlow to determine if a cancer tumor is benign or malign (very simple ML application). The problem is that TensorFlow is C++ and its API is Python, therefore itā€™s not well suited as a module.

1 Like

@lluismf how about this? https://medium.com/google-cloud/how-to-invoke-a-trained-tensorflow-model-from-java-programs-27ed5f4f502d#.s9vcrwh3t And by the way, would you like to mentor it? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™ll share some quick thoughts. Clearly these are not full proposals, and someone would need to flesh them out, and mentor them.

• FHIR module improvements. I donā€™t know enough about the current state to know what we should prioritize, but I imagine we could implement some more resources. We could also update it from DSTU2 to STU3 (assuming this is released as expected before June).

• Open Concept Lab improvements: the python/django OCL application needs a lot of improvements, both cosmetic and functional. I would imagine @paynejd as mentor with @ball as backup mentor.

• Add xyz feature to Patient Dashboard in the reference application. (@ssmusoke should fill in which feature!)

• Built-In Reports for the Reference Application (packaged as an OMOD+OWA so they can be used elsewhere too). Hardcoded reports, graphs, etc to give some basic insight into your data, e.g. listing all patients seen today, broken down by demographics, place of origin (based on address), encounter types, encounter locations, diagnoses, etc.

• Support Medication Dispensing in the EMR API module (or in its own new module): introduce a standard way to record that drugs were dispensed to the patient, storing this as obs. Provide REST and FHIR APIs for this. Add (simple) support for this in the reference application.

• Platform support for Anonymous Patients, i.e. ā€œJohn Doeā€ patients admitted to emergency who need a temporary patient record until they can be identified.

• Improvements to the OpenMRS Add-On Index. (Iā€™d expect to have this live before GSoC starts, and there will surely be improvements worth making at that point, but I donā€™t know what yet.) I donā€™t know if I can commit to mentoring though.

4 Likes

+1 for OCL improvements. Iā€™d be happy to write up ideas and to mentor.

1 Like

Weā€™ve always wanted to implement a tagging mechanism, would be nice to probably have a go at this during GSoC '16

2 Likes

I will look at what we can do in FHIR module improvements. Definitely we need to support more resources.

2 Likes

Tagging of what, specifically?

1 Like

In theory, one should be able to tag just about anything in OpenMRS

1 Like

we are thinking this yearā€™s GSoC prototyping on a generic cross over reporting tool/platform for all default and userā€™s additional metrics within reporting periods such as; monthly, quarterly, daily, annually etc into DHIS and any other future similar softwares we wish to communicate to, i hope to propose this project preferably next week

1 Like

I could probably come up with some improvements for the OWA generator by next Friday. There is definite some work to do on the Swagger docs too.

1 Like

I made the first post a wiki post, so we can edit it with new ideas, and move them from ā€œideasā€ to ā€œprojectsā€ as we flesh them out more.

Hi All,

Since we are getting close to GSoC organization application submission deadline, please ready your project proposal draft soon.

Thanks, Harsha

@larslemos if you have any project idea, please have a draft of it.

There are a number of dataset definitions that do not have a functional user interface in the reporting module. Here is an example: http://qa-refapp.openmrs.org/openmrs/module/reporting/datasets/editDataSet.form?type=org.openmrs.module.reporting.dataset.definition.ObsDataSetDefinition @mseaton do you think that would be a worth while GSOC project?

@mafrica did you ever get a chance to spec out the patient lists project? Do you think it would be a good GSOC project?

Here is another: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/projects/More+Metadata+Management+in+AdminUI

@dkayiwa I am afraid the last couple of weeks have been taken up with other hospital projects: Payroll/HR/accounting and so not got around to this. Are you referring to the workflow and queue management proposal?

Yes that one! :slight_smile: