GSoC 2014 Student introductions

Hi Everyone,

Nice to meet everyone here and very excited to be a part of Google Summer of Code and the OpenMRS community! Sorry for the delay - I have been traveling without internet access this past week.

My name is Stephen Po-Chedley and I am currently a volunteer with Partners in Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo in Malawi. At PIH/APZU I work as an advisor to the electronic medical records (EMR) team. I have largely been an OpenMRS implementer and am really excited to help with OpenMRS development. I totally buy into “Write Code Save Lives.” It is easy to see how much this open source project, OpenMRS, does just that.

I started as a volunteer in Malawi in September 2013 and will return to Seattle, WA, USA in September 2014 to complete my PhD in Atmospheric Sciences (I study climate science). With PIH I have focused on assessing the quality of the data in our EMR and helping make the system easier to use and manage. We use OpenMRS as our medical records system. When I return to Seattle this fall, I hope to continue to help my colleagues in Malawi to troubleshoot technical problems, assess data quality, prepare reports, and ideally be involved in the development of custom modules within OpenMRS.

I have never been involved in the development of open source software and am very excited for this opportunity. I will be working with Cosmin Ioan and Michael Seaton to develop a module that tracks and assesses data quality in OpenMRS.

Look forward to talking to you all more soon,

Steve

1 Like