Getting started in a Windows environment - Specific Compile Errors

System Specs: Windows 7 Java 1.8.0_91 Maven 3.3.9 OpenMRS 1.0.5

I’m a brand new developer to OMRS and working on a windows machine. I downloaded the project from source forge and followed the steps in the developer PDF.

I did the following steps:

1. Installed Java
  2. Installed OMRS package from source forge

Even though it said that maven was installed (from the OMRS install) it appeared to be an invalid version when trying to generate a configuration on a first run. So I went and installed the latest version of maven on my machine and still getting this error: note I had to remove all links from the error message since it only lets new members make a post with 2 links :frowning:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\openmrs\openmrs-standalone-2.3.1>omrs-run Could not find a configuration for OpenMRS, do you want to create one? (y/n)y Executing: archetype:generate -s “C:\Program Files (x86)\omrssdk-1.0.6\apache-ma ven\conf\settings.xml” -DinteractiveMode=false -DartifactId=openmrs-project -Dgr oupId=org.openmrs -Dversion=1.0.0-SNAPSHOT -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype -openmrs-project -DarchetypeGroupId=org.openmrs.maven.archetypes -DarchetypeVers ion=1.0.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackage=org.openmrs Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256M; sup port was removed in 8.0 [INFO] Scanning for projects… [INFO] [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [INFO] Building Maven Stub Project (No POM) 1 [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [INFO] [INFO] >>> maven-archetype-plugin:2.4:generate (default-cli) > generate-sources @ standalone-pom >>> [INFO] [INFO] <<< maven-archetype-plugin:2.4:generate (default-cli) < generate-sources @ standalone-pom <<< [INFO] [INFO] — maven-archetype-plugin:2.4:generate (default-cli) @ standalone-pom –

[INFO] Generating project in Batch mode [WARNING] Archetype not found in any catalog. Falling back to central repository (http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2). [WARNING] Use -DarchetypeRepository= if archetype’s repository is elsewhere. Downloading: …1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml Downloading: …1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/maven-archetype-openmrs-project-1.0 .0-SNAPSHOT.jar [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [INFO] BUILD FAILURE [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [INFO] Total time: 6.485 s [INFO] Finished at: 2016-07-12T11:14:38-05:00 [INFO] Final Memory: 14M/218M [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ [ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:2 .4:generate (default-cli) on project standalone-pom: The desired archetype does not exist (org.openmrs.maven.archetypes:maven-archetype-openmrs-project:1.0.0-SN APSHOT) -> [Help 1] [ERROR] [ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e swit ch. [ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging. [ERROR] [ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please rea d the following articles: [ERROR] [Help 1] …confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoFailureExc eption Could not find a configuration for OpenMRS, do you want to create one? (y/n)

Also, in the spirit of getting things up and running to start development. I’ve seen in the OpenMRS SDK it states the best way to get started is to clone the core repository from GitHub.

So even though I have the package from source forge I installed, would it be better in the long run to get things up and running via cloning github and debugging? If so, can you point me to the most effective documentation for doing so.

Thank you so much for reading and hopefully I can get up and running soon!

Hi @brianushman , Are you still facing the problem?