Gender inclusiveness in OpenMRS

Following the unconference session at the Implementers conference in Mozambique, I am writing to call upon all females in this great community to join hands and support one another in the this tech journey.

We propose to have a squad of females participating in the different OpenMRS projects that are on-going ie. FHIR, OCL, Microfrontends and many others as they may come by.

We proposed to start having monthly calls from January 2020 and I would like to hear your views about this arrangement.

As we prepare for the festive season, lets put together proposals(not necessarily written on paper) of what we want to accomplish for OpenMRS in 2020 and be ready to share ideas in the calls that we shall have.

Last but not least, we can not work independent of the males :blush: so please we call upon them to join the calls and also share ideas for the betterment of our great OpenMRS community.

Note If you know any female I have left out please add them here

@jennifer @ball @fali @jwnasambu @janflowers @deb @terry @christine @jnanyunja @jecihjoy @suruchi @lauravignoli @faithnassiwa @sara @fatimah2001 @fatuma21 @ccwhite23 @cintiadr @gracebish @haripriya @jinal @jinishatejura @juliekohler @judy @latishaangiez @lana @lisamuga @loisnaki @luciekimotho @michelle14 @pradiptakundu @qiwunwa @sofia123 @uzanysa @ayeung @zuzanna @zainab

@burke @dkayiwa @paul @ssmusoke @danfuterman @wanyee @k.joseph @akanter @mseaton @bistenes @jteich @ddesimone @mogoodrich

9 Likes

Beautiful, @irenyak1. Looking forward to our January call.

FYI @dmunson @jordan

2 Likes

Love this and bummed that I missed the Maputo session!

I’d love to get a better idea of where women are contributing - and where new opportunities may lie. Any ideas on how we can do this?

1 Like

@jennifer it was not your fault that you missed the session in Maputo. Your plate was over flowing, Had a lot to attend to at the same time. :smiley: We managed to meet the four of us , @ball @jwnasambu @suruchi and I. It was really productive and I believe in January most Ladies will be on board.

I am thinking we could have a google sheet with these columns to capture the information @jennifer wants.

1. Name
  2. Openmrs talk id
  3. Projects currently contributing to
  4. Which new opportunities do you envision
  5. Etc

@irenyak1 Although I’m only a student participating in Google Code-In (still quite new to all of this, haha) this is so encouraging to see other females on a tech journey too! Would love to help any way I can :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I will gladly participate with your guidance.

welcome @michelle14, that already a good start as a GCI student :D. Welcome @gracebish. Please let’s all purpose to stick in the community and contribute as much as we can. We shall also learn from each other as time unfolds. Happy to have you here.

Kind request: Could we please upload our recent photos on the our profiles? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would love to join in :sunglasses:

1 Like

welcome @sgathu we are very happy to have you here :slight_smile:

Hello friends, Could this be of help? https://www.ictworks.org/techwomen-mentorship-us-state-department/#.XhSb74hRXIU @ball thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hello people, happy new year! I hope we are done with the holiday and now back to business. January is here and like we suggested we should start our monthly calls this month. Could we have suggestions for the day and time factoring in the currently running OpenMRS calls.

I need Ideas from you ladies and of course the Gents too. :slight_smile:

@irenyak1 Thanks for re-invigorating the discussion. Can you suggest some dates/time with a Doodle poll?

(I’ll be traveling and likely unavailable to join a call during the last 2 weeks of January. )

Unfortunately I have read through the site but I can not find Uganda as one of the countries that are eligible for application.

Let me drop this survey here from @zuzanna please let’s fill it.

1 Like