GCI 2016 participant & mentor virtual meet-and-greet

@jackgoldsmith4 you have to talk to the help desk at OpenMRS and tell them you would like access for you task on google code in.

1 Like

As I stated earlier, please move conversations to IRC (#openmrs-gci) or Telegram. This thread is for introductions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Collins Nji (popularly know as Collin Grimm online :grinning:) and Iā€™m from Cameroon. I like code-in because I get the chance to meet many people from other countries that are about the same age as me with a common interest, Open Source.

I wanted to participate with OpenMRS because I like the whole idea of the project and I like helping out any person in need in what ever way I can, which in this case, is writing code lol

I participated in Code-In last year [2015] and was a finalist. Iā€™m interested in wildlife photography and in app development

6 Likes

Greetings to all the GCI 2016 students! Weā€™re excited to have you onboard!

Iā€™m Shreyans, a Student Developer, GSoC '16 student and currently a Google Code-in mentor here at OpenMRS. You guys can read more about my work and me on my website, http://shreyanssheth.com. Donā€™t hesitate to get in touch and ask for help on the Telegram channel and we mentors shall help you out to the best of our abilities.

Hope you guys learn a lot contributing to OpenMRS these few months. Cheers!

5 Likes

hi, I am from India. I like coding very much.I learnt javascript when I was 9.I am a Tennis player.this is my first year. My father asked me to participate in this competition,so for a change ,i did.I was impressed to see such good mentors,challenging tasks etc.that i decided to take part in it every year

3 Likes

Hi Everyone! My name is Shivani and Iā€™m from Canada. I heard about Google Code-in through a friend of mine but Iā€™ve never actually participated in this before, however I look forward to learning and enhancing my skills. Some of my interests other than my love for technology including reading; either for pleasure or to keep up to date on recent affairs, programming, learning new languages, cooking, and listening to music! I really thought it was incredible how OpenMRS is a platform that is working on saving lives with Health IT. Personally, I have experience in HTML and Java, and Iā€™m eagerly learning C++. In the future, I hope to learn Python and Ruby.

2 Likes

Hi, My name is Somya Agrawal from India.This is my second year in gci.I like coding very much.I have learnt html , javascript , css and a bit of ruby.Apart from this I like listening music, cooking, reading mystery books and also play tennis.I had always in mind to contribute something for the society and by OpenMRS I think I can do something at this very moment.I like challenges and I hope I will enjoy gci.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Hey guys! Iā€™m Lyndon and Iā€™m from New Jersey. GCI seems really cool and fun and it seems like I can learn a lot. Its my first time trying out GCI; Iā€™ve definitely heard it before, but now Iā€™m old enough :). In my free time I love playing games and socializing and I train for ping pong and tennis and I occasionally play soccer. Iā€™m really interested in consumer tech, such as audio (could be considered an audiophile maybe) and smartphones. I look forward to doing some GCI!

Hi!

Iā€™m Tenzin Z, I used to live in US as a refugee-in-exile; but Iā€™m now a citizen! GCI is interesting, in that I, and many others get the opportunity to explore open source, & familiarize myself with it. OpenMRS captivated me; this organization strives for everything I advocate for - itā€™s amazing that we can help poverty-stricken countries develop EMRs through OpenMRS. I began to code last year; and want to go in the computer science career field - I love technology, web designing & graphic designing. A big interest of mine is healthcare - and being the president of my schoolā€™s HOSA (health occupational students of America) club, I was intrigued by the mission of OpenMRS to provide effective medical record keeping for those in need.

1 Like

oh and this is my first GCI experience!

hi! I am Shubham Rohila from India. I am participating in GCI second time . I love gaming. I know a bit of coding but find it enough to an extent to contribute to community. It will be great to work with OpenMRS this time. :smile:

1 Like

One more thing I have an issue regarding the access to Wiki and JIRA page. I entered the login details but it showed unable to login. May someone sort this prob.? I am also unable to download OpenMRS Standalone version. Please Guide me!

@rohilashubham Your first problem can be solved by approaching to help desk

You can then create a new case regarding your issue by filling appropriate information. Then OpenMRS Team will mail you the status of your case.

For your OpenMRS Installation

1. You should have Java installed or download it.
  2. You may then go to Download download the Ref. App. 2.5
  3. Extract the downloaded folder
  4. run the .jar file and start the process
  5. You will be directed to a localhost webpage and login through Username: admin Password: Admin123 or test
    You may also see this gitbook to get more information.

Video on " How to install OpenMRS"

2 Likes

Hello! My name is Scott. Iā€™m 15 years old and Iā€™m from Indonesia. I found Google Code-In interesting because it tries to introduce open source development to pre-university students. Iā€™m immediately sucked into it, and all I can think after i woke up is ā€œGCIā€. OpenMRS is an organization that also catches my eyes, it develops an application that helps manage hospitals around the globe.

Aside from programming & graphic design, Iā€™m also extremely active in competitive debating. I won several competitions from district to national level.

Hello everyone my name is Akshit Mittal. I want to do the project of making an instructioinal video about OPENMRS helpdesk. I am confused how to do it so any volunteers for helping me plzz reply me I will be grateful to the one

Hi Akshit,

Iā€™m working on the same task as you, so I can help out, but this thread is only for introductions , so please email me at tenzom2000@ gmail.com so I can move our convo to Telegram or just directly join IRC (#openmrs-gci) or Telegram

Best, -Tenzin

hi i am Animesh from a small town Jamshedpur in Indiaā€¦ I am sixteen year old,eleventh grader technology geekā€¦ i take coding as my hobby and mainly code in java, javascriptā€¦ I have been participating in GCI since the past two years and love solving mathematical algorithmsā€¦GCI is really interesting as it has enabled me to the world of open source web development and openmrs has shown me a new world of various applications and managing themā€¦it functions a new type of system(worked fossasia earlier)ā€¦i also love playing badminton and am preparing for IIT-JEE

1 Like

Hi , I am Raghav Khandelwal . I am a student and I am interested in getting involved in the OpenMRS community. My motive of my life is to do something for the betterment of the World. This time i working with Google codein basically in Google codein i found OpenMRS to be the most interesting one. So i am interesting doing tasks of OpenMRS.

1 Like

Hi, I am from Hongkong. I very like programming so I decided to join in Google Code-In. Iā€™m programming web pages .