Future of Developers' Guide

This thread is about the future of the OpenMRS Developers’ Guide book from Flossmanuals.

The only available language for the book is English. This is a problem for people who don’t speak the language.

I think we should change from Flossmanuals to something like [Read the Docs] (https://readthedocs.org) to make contributions more friendly and to make localization possible. This way we could use GitHub for the contributions and Transifex for the translations.

The questions are the following.

• How could we support localization?
  • Should we move from Flossmanuals?
2 Likes

This is an interesting set of questions.

Definitely the flossmanuals platform is bad for getting people to actually contribute to the docs, and keep them current. I definitely would support moving to another platform if someone were to volunteer to own the process of comparing platforms, and moving things over. One obvious question is, why not just convert the existing manuals/guides to be plain wiki pages, alongside the rest of our documentation?

3 Likes

…why not just convert the existing manuals/guides to be plain wiki pages, alongside the rest of our documentation?

Moving to the wiki would be great, but it has no translation support. I think translations are a huge plus.

I definitely would support moving to another platform if someone were to volunteer to own the process of comparing platforms, and moving things over.

I’d be fine with volunteering. :slightly_smiling: