DHIS2 Report Module for GSoC 2017

Continuing the discussion from GSoC 2017 Project Brainstorming:

@jamesm and @maurya (and @pascal),

We’d like to have a GSoC 2017 project for DHIS2 integration. Since our application for GSoC 2017 gets submitted tomorrow, I was going to try to help by drafting a DHIS2 Project page for GSoC 2017. Browsing the wiki, I see several project pages on DHIS2:

It’s not clear to me from these pages what the road map is for the module. At OMRS16, we pointed DHIS Connector Module - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki to the DHIS2 Report Module wiki page, suggesting that it could be a starting point for people interested in the integration and I put a link to this Talk category at the top of that page.

A few questions…

• Is there a better “home” page for DHIS2 integration? I’m thinking DHIS Connector Module - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki should point to a page that gives an overview, links to this discussion category on Talk, module documentation and user guides, and provides a road map.
  • Is the DHIS2-SDMX-HD stuff old? If so, hould we archive or discard it?
  • If you don’t have time to follow the “Creating a GSoC 2017 Project page” instruction here, could you give me a quick list of objectives for a DHIS2 GSoC 2017 project by tomorrow that I could use to create a draft page for you?

Cheers,

-Burke :burke:

1 Like
1 Like

@burke @maurya and @pascal Here are my responses in italics. A few questions…

• Is there a better “home” page for DHIS2 integration? I’m thinking http://om.rs/dhis2 should point to a page that gives an overview, links to this discussion category on Talk, module documentation and user guides, and provides a road map. - This is the page with the most current information on DHIS2 reporting module that i know of.
  • Is the DHIS2-SDMX-HD stuff old? If so, hould we archive or discard it? - Please archive this page.
  • If you don’t have time to follow the “Creating a GSoC 2017 Project page” instruction here, could you give me a quick list of objectives for a DHIS2 GSoC 2017 project by tomorrow that I could use to create a draft page for you? - Maurya created a page on the project focusing on improving the reporting part. @Maurya, Do you want to create another GSOC project or can we include some tasks (e.g. ADX disaggregations) on this project that can be undertaken for GSoC 2017? ThanksJames

I don’t think we have a defined timeline of when this will be available for the GSOC student to work on. So, the best we can hope for is to include it in the current project as an extra credit in case this is workable in the timeline

We at @Jembi are actively developing a MER 2.0 indicator based generic solution that we are dressing up to feet the rest of the world, we started off by creating a configurable (through mapping OpenMRS period indicator reports to DHIS datasets) interoperable layer that currently supports both DXF and ADX formats and is actively under development. We are now moving on to feed into it sets of indicators mappable and manageable starting with some MER 2.0 indicators for Rwanda (to address any PEPFAR indicator disaggregations and the like changes that would happen over the years), this project is our envisioned solution and it’s as well under active development. I remember i wanted to propose this project as we were putting together our thoughts and prep for GSoC 2017, i then backtracked since a few weeks later we started off progress on that project, here is a design being framed.

With that in mind could we as the whole community just throw out our thoughts to better this ongoing dev work or invest another GSoC slot into the dhisreports module!!!

sorry for responding many days after this post, just saw it tonight.

@k.joseph,

This is great!. I can see that you are moving ahead with a plan. Would you be interested in sharing your current and future plans with the community? Can you point us towards the documentation for your two modules. Also, can you give some background on creating two modules for this project?

The main issue with each OpenMRS DHIS integration projects has been different implementations creating their separate module for their needs.

We adopted the OpenMRS DHIS2 Reporting module from HISPIndia to have a generic module for every OpenMRS implementation to download and use. We have been working with implementations to accumulate their solutions to this module. We are also working with the ADX profile owners to help make this possible through the standards level. We also decided that this would be the module where new features will be added and every implementation can contribute towards.

If your module adapts the existing openmrs-dhisreporting-module to cater to some specific use case, we would rather focus the community’s effort towards strengthening the current module by adapting some features from your solutions that would benefit the community.

But, after evaluating your plans and documentation, if your module/s is something that can be implemented by majority of implementations then we can shift the community’s efforts towards these modules.

@jamesm, thoughts?

1 Like

Consider these modules README (links) and summary description below DHIS Connector module is our generic bridge that crosses the data from OpenMRS into DHIS through either DXF or ADX formats configurable switchable by a user, this module supports mapping OpenMRS period indicator reports (indicators & dimensions) to DHIS2 DataSets (Dat elements & category option combinations/disaggregations). it’s just a supporting platform for our new module. DHIS Reporting module which is by default meant to contain PEPFAR MER 2.0 indicators grouped in 4 reports (Prevention, Knowing your HIV status, On ART, Others), this module contains a mapping as in its README which supports tracking indicators individually thus making it possible to modify any dimensions/disaggregations changes that may happen in the future. The same module is meant to support a user creating their own report, generating its mapping entries and then the module reports into DHIS after auto execution of the report basing on its period type. We think this would cater for our generic need as a community but are happy to have the work on DHIS Reports module continue

is our Jembi’s first progress block
1 Like

Hi.Kaweesi,

How are you doing brother. This is Mr. Nhial Lam (South Sudanese Software Engineer) studied together with you at Bugema university, department of computing and technology.

I’m so grateful seeing a lot of progress in your IT career which contribute to tech development of our backward nations. please share your email address and phone number with me so that we shall be i touch every time.

1 Like

am good and nice hearing from you man, check your talk inbox for it. thanks for the contact