We are currently improving the chart search module and adapting it for OpenMRS 2.0. This is a module to allow clinicians near immediate access to patient information using search technology. Understanding how users expect the search box to behave is is critical to good usability.
Here are a few questions:
- should the search ‘Blood Pressure’ search as two individual words or as a phrase?
- should we understand AND / OR within the search box?
- should we have " " indicate that the search entry should search as a phrase (as with google)?
- If the user searches for 36 should this also return 36.2?
- Should there be a way to preselect filters using the search box? For example obs:blood would only search observations for blood?
- Should we support wildcard (**) in searches? What would this look like more specifically?
- Support searching parts of words? For example searching “hem” would return “hemoglobin” and “hematocrit”
Here is the google search operators for reference which might be relevant: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/136861?hl=en