Appointment Module: Proposed change to Appointment Status History

For @tgreensweig and anyone else using the OpenMRS Appointment Scheduling module (note that this is different from the Bahmni one)… I’ve been working with @jecihjoy and the AMPATH team who are adding some enhancements to the module and there is a proposed modelling change that I wanted to run by you…

There is an “Appointment Status History” domain object that is used to track the history of the statuses given to a particular appointment (ie tracking it through SCHEDULED to COMPLETE, or SCHEDULED to MISSED, etc)… the old Appointment Scheduling user interface uses this functionality, I believe, but the UI provided by the Appointment Scheduling UI module does not, and we are looking to change the model so it can, and so that a custom UI build by AMPATH can utilize it as well.

Right now the “history” domain object only includes the historical statuses, and the current status is only stored on the appointment itself.

For instance, if you had a appointment that was created on June 5th, and then cancelled on June 10th, the appointment status history table would have a single entry for that appointment:

STATUS | START_DATE | END_DATE SCHEDULED | June 5th | June 10th

The “CANCELLED” status would only be stored on the appointment itself.

We’d like to change it so that appointment status history would include the current status, ie:

STATUS | START_DATE | END_DATE SCHEDULED | June 5th | June 10th CANCELLED | June 10th | NULL

This seems more intuitive to us, and, also, makes it much easier to track statuses RESTfully without having a specific “change status” endpoint.

Thoughts?

Thanks to @jecihjoy for all her time working on this issue!

Take care, Mark

3 Likes

Thank you soo Mark for taking the heads up in ensuring everyone is aware of this change.

Also does anyone have any reasons why this wouldn’t work with their use case??

jecihjoy, Ampath @ssmusoke